With school and sports back in full swing it’s important for student-athletes to be prepared for practices, games at home and on the road and tournaments. From my experience, high school game nights can be up to 8 hours to include, travel, wait time and playing so having the right fuel on hand is vital for performance and energy.
Why do you need to snack? Because it provides energy between meals and sustains energy level during games so you don’t crash! Planning ahead of time is key. So take time the Sunday before a busy week and the night before to pack snacks for the busy day ahead! Make sure that you don’t try new foods the day of a game to make sure it won’t upset your upset and affect your game.
Here are some ideas:
Non-Perishables (Don’t need to be refrigerated)
- Whole Grain Pretzels or Goldfish
- Whole Grain Crackers
- Cereal (Chex & Cheerios. Watch for high amounts of added sugar- Anything over 20% in the Daily Value is TOO much)
- Dried fruit/Fruit leather (Raisin boxes)
- Whole fruit (i.e., apples, bananas, peaches, oranges, plums)
- Nut butter packs (aks Peanut Butter, Almond Butter, Sunflower Butter)
- Trail Mix (Make your own with nuts, seeds, cereals, pretzels, dried fruit, popcorn, dark chocolate)
- Energy Granola bars (Kind, Cliff, RX Bar or Lara Bar)
- Fig Newton’s
- Sports Bars (Probar, G2G, or Honey Stinger)
- Gels/Blocs(Probar, Honey Stinger or Gatorade)
- Tuna Fish Packets
- Instant Oatmeal
- Beef Jerky
- Homemade Baked Chickpeas
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Graham Crackers
- Peanut Butter, Jam/Honey & Banana Sandwiches
- Shelf-Stable Milk (individual cartons)
- Energy Bites- Great Recipe on the My Blog Below
Perishable Items- Have a cooler and Ice Packs?
- Yogurt (Greek or Siggi’s)
- String Cheese
- Cut Fruit (Berries, Grapes or Watermelon)
- Cut Veggies with Hummus, Guacamole or Ranch
- Protein Drinks (aka Muscle Milk) or Chocolate/Regular Milk
- Cottage Cheese
- Pasta Salad
- Deli Sandwiches with Turkey, Cheese, and Veggies
- Premade Smoothies
- Bagel and Cream Cheese
Remember Carbohydrates are quick energy and better before a game or practice and Protein is better for recovery after a practice or game! Stay tuned for more information on fueling before, during and after workouts in future posts! Or can’t wait…schedule a 1-1 session with me and I will create a nutrition prescription for you and your sport!
Stay tuned for more information on fueling before, during and after workouts in future posts! Can’t wait…schedule a 1-1 session with me and I will create a nutrition prescription for you and your sport for optimal performance.