The first step to healthy snacking is choosing wholesome foods instead of high fat and high calorie foods such as cookies, chips, soft drinks and fast food. To perform daily functions, quality workouts requiring high energy and to maintain optimal health, your body needs nutrient dense fuel such as whole grains, vegetables, fruits, lean protein, healthy fats and low fat dairy. Healthy snacking during the day can also boost your metabolism. Adding a mid-day workout can also improve productivity, energy, and relieve stress.
Weight Control Tip: A healthy balanced snack to include a Healthy Carbohydrate (Fruit, Vegetable or Whole Grain) with a Lean Protein while watching portion control is key to giving your body the healthy nutrients it needs and to avoid overeating at dinner and into the night!
Pre Physical Activity Snack
1- Prevents low blood sugar that can cause lightheadedness, fatigued and/or blurred vision.
2 – Settles the stomach to avoid hunger during the workout
3 – Fuels Your Muscles
- Use carbohydrates to fuel and top off muscle stores
- Add moderate amount of protein up to 10 grams
- Avoid high fat and sugar foods to reduce digestive issues
- Aim for 1 to 2 hours before activity to allow food to digest
Post Physical Activity Snack
1- Replaces electrolytes lost in sweat with food
2- Helps avoid the desire to reach for sugary or high calorie choices
3- Replenishes and refuels muscles
- Increase lean proteins to 20 grams for muscle recovery
- Include a moderate amount of carbohydrates
- Eat within 1 hour of activity
- Hydrate with Water
Fast, easy and nutrient-packed snack ideas:
- 1 medium apple sliced (or a pre-prepared sliced apple bag) and 2 Tbsp. of nut butter spread over the slices.
- Energy bars (ex. Lara, Kind Bars or RX Bar)
- Yogurt parfaits with ½ cup of Greek Yogurt, fruit and nuts.
- 2 Tbsp. of Peanut Butter and a Banana on 2 pieces of whole grain bread.
- 10-12 baby carrots, sliced peppers or cucumbers dipped into 2 Tbsp. of hummus.
- Fruit cups with grapes cut up strawberries, blueberries, watermelon and/or pineapple.
- 2 rice cakes with 2 Tbsp. of nut butter spread over.
- 1 string cheese with a 1 small bag of Pita chips, wheat thins or whole grain goldfish.
- Chocolate Milk (Watching calories use Low Fat).
- Cottage Cheese and fresh fruit or cherry tomatoes.
- Trail Mix (Nuts, Dried Fruit, Cereal, Pretzels, Dark Chocolate, Popcorn).
- Hard Boiled Eggs.